As orthodontic options improve, braces are becoming an increasingly popular choice for adults who wish to improve the alignment of their teeth. Unlike traditional metal braces, the Invisalign system brings teeth into proper alignment with the use of clear plastic aligners. Treatment with Invisalign is more subtle, more comfortable, and completed faster than with traditional braces. For these and other benefits, most adults prefer clear braces. Dr. Spadafora offers Invisalign in Hermitage.
How Does Invisalign Straighten Teeth?
The Invisalign system works using a series of custom-fit trays created to meet your specific orthodontic needs. Worn for 20-22 hours every day, each tray focuses on a different part of the bite. You advance to a new aligner every two weeks, gradually working your way through the treatment. Visits to the dentist are necessary every four to six weeks to make sure things are progressing as they should, and the average Invisalign treatment lasts just one year.
What Does Invisalign Treat?
Because the Invisalign system can improve teeth affected by the most common dental misalignments, the majority of patients are excellent candidates for the treatment. The following issues can be corrected with Invisalign:
- Crowding of teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Underbite, when the lower teeth partially cover the upper
- Overbite, when the upper teeth reach far over the lower
- Crossbite, when the upper and lower teeth do not meet properly
Patients should undergo a preliminary dental cleaning and exam before Invisalign. Cavities and gum disease should be treated in advance of orthodontic treatment.
Why Do Adults Prefer Invisalign?
There are a number of benefits associated with clear braces — and Invisalign offers even more advantages with its removable trays. It’s the convenient, comfortable alternative to metal brackets and wires.
Some benefits of Invisalign compared to traditional braces include:
- Subtle orthodontic treatment
- Clear plastic trays are less likely to cause discomfort in the soft tissues of the mouth
- Traditional braces create barriers to dental hygiene, but removable Invisalign trays make for easy brushing and flossing.
- No diet restrictions necessary with removable aligners
- Invisalign can be taken out for speeches, big introductions, and other significant events. Just make sure you’re wearing the trays for 20 to 22 hours every day.
- At just one year on average, treatment is completed faster than traditional braces
- Fewer visits to the dentist are required with Invisalign, so you spend less time thinking about your orthodontic treatment, and more time enjoying your straighter smile.
After Your Invisalign Treatment
Once you have completed your Invisalign treatment, you will be fitted with a retainer and instructions for use. The Invisalign retainer is similar to the trays used for orthodontic treatment. You will wear the device throughout the day at night for the first few weeks following Invisalign. Most patients advance to nightwear only after a few months. Your post-care treatment will depend on your orthodontic needs.
Learn More About Invisalign Today!
Are you interested in benefiting from clear braces? Contact Dale F. Spadafora’s office to discuss your Invisalign treatment! We can’t wait to help you enjoy straighter teeth and a more confident smile with clear braces. Schedule your appointment today!